You know it, your family does, and your child probably does by now, too, considering how much you’ve been reminding him/her—eating vegetables is good. But if you have been encouraging your child to do so without success, then it may be time to change strategies.
You see, going all-in on your green agenda may just be the problem. This may appear to them as conditional, an eat-or-else scenario, and this may cause them to hate it instead, something that we know all too well running a Montessori School in Yorba Linda.
As your trusted childcare provider in Yorba Linda CA, let us at Children’s Montessori Center of Yorba Linda share with you some ‘subtle’ ways of encouraging them to take in more greens.
- Encourage them, but do not be forceful. Always offer vegetables as a suggestion.
- Set a good example, show them that eating vegetables is an enjoyable experience.
- Expand their choices of vegetables. It is normal for children to be picky eaters; some children take up to 20 tries before deciding they like it.
- Reward them for trying out vegetables but make sure not to go overboard about it because they may just do it to please you.
- Do not make a big deal when your child does not eat vegetables, just try again next time.
- Involve their teachers in your agenda. Of course, it may already be being done in their preschool in Yorba Linda CA, but asking their teacher to encourage your child and the rest of the class by incorporating it in class is a step in the right direction.
It is something that we already do ourselves in our Montessori Center in Yorba Linda CA so do not hesitate to drop in a word in a word or two, we’re sure their teacher would appreciate it!