The World Health Organization (WHO) designates self-awareness as one of the ‘The Top 10 Life Skills.’ The organization defines it as “insight into self, one’s capabilities, and limitations.” Without the skill, we struggle with holding our ground and working harmoniously with others. As such, making sure that your child has a healthy sense of self-awareness is important.
Your child will eventually develop self-awareness on their own. But as parents ourselves and educators at our Montessori center in Yorba Linda CA, we play a crucial role in making sure they develop it in a healthy way. After all, having an extremely high sense of self-awareness can turn into excessive self-consciousness, which is damaging. Inversely, having little self-awareness will lead to difficulties in understanding themselves and how they relate to others and the world.
So how can you help build self-awareness in your children?
As your trusted preschool in Yorba Linda CA, we at the Children’s Montessori Center of Yorba Linda list down the ways you can help your child.
- Make open conversations about school and their social life a routine
- Talk about their strengths and teach them to acknowledge their challenging areas
- Encourage their passions and strengths
- Talk to them about their emotions and teach them a larger emotional vocabulary
- Support them in trying new things