Yes, biting is very common during toddlerhood, the first three (3) years of your child.
As a preschool in Yorba Linda CA, we know the scenario all too well. That said, you should not wait for your child to outgrow it as it can lead to them thinking it is okay to do so, not to mention, you obviously do not want other children to get hurt.
So, how can you prevent this from happening?
As your trusted Montessori center in Yorba Linda CA, let us at Children’s Montessori Center of Yorba Linda enumerate the steps you can take when this happens and what you can do to prevent this in the first place.
Observe first, watch your child at play at their daycare center in California and see if you can determine what led them to bite. Among the most common causes for biting include:
- To gain attention
- To ease the discomfort caused by teething
- To imitate other children expressing the same behavior
- To explore with their senses
After figuring out what is causing their biting, you can try the following strategies. These are strategies we do ourselves at our Montessori School in Yorba Linda.
- Do this when your child is still on the verge of biting:
- Distract your child with a book or toy or a walk outside.
- Suggest to your child how they may handle the situation
- Suggest ways to share toys
During biting, you can do the following:
- Keep yourself calm
- Tell your child off in a firm voice but make sure not to yell or get angry
- Shift your attention to the child who was bitten to show your child that biting will not give them attention